How to get to Moraine Lake

Posted On
May 18, 2023
Written By
Deonte D

Moraine Lake is one of the most popular destinations in Banff National Park. New this year, Parks Canada decided to close the road to personal vehicles due to the high volume of traffic going to and from Moraine Lake. It is not impossible to get there, you just need to plan ahead!

Where is Moraine Lake?

Moraine Lake is In Banff National Park 14 kilometres (8.7 mi) outside the hamlet of Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada. approximately 94 km or 58 miles west of Canmore. 

It is situated in the Valley of the Ten Peaks, at an elevation of approximately 1,884 metres (6,181 ft). The lake has a surface area of 50 hectares (120 acres). 

How to get there

  1. Parks Canada Shuttle - You can reserve a seat on the shuttle here. The price includes the shuttle to both Lake Louise and Moraine Lake. Please note that 40% of the tickets are reservable in the spring and the remaining 60% of seats are released 48 hours in advance. 
  2. Moraine Lake Bus Company - Pick up and drop off in Lake Louise only. Pets are welcome in a carrier that fits on your lap. 
  3. Canadian Rockies Experience for private tours to Moraine Lake & Lake Louise
  4. Discover Banff Tours - Pick up and drop off is in Banff 
  5. Radventures Sunrise Tour - Pick up and drop off in Canmore, Banff, Lake Louise
  6. Moraine Lake Sunrise Shuttle - Pick up and drop off in Canmore, Banff, Lake Louise
  7. Mountain Park Transportation - Pick up and drop off in Lake Louise only. Dogs are welcome in a carrier that fits on your lap. 
  8. Effective September 2023, Take the  Roam Transit: Roam riders departing from Canmore or Banff who purchase the Roam Transit ‘superpass’ can connect to Moraine Lake via the Parks Canada Lake Connector Shuttle upon arrival at the Lake Louise Lakeshore. Riders can reconnect with the Roam system by returning to the Lake Louise Lakeshore on the Parks Canada Lake Connector Shuttle.
  9. If you are feeling ambitious you can walk or ride your bicycle. Electric bikes are also welcome! The road is a 25km round trip so come prepared with water and snacks.  

Why can’t we Drive there? 

In 2023, Parks Canada announced that personal vehicles would no longer be allowed on the road year-round. Visitors would need to use the park's shuttles, public transportation, or registered commercial operators to access the lake. People with disabilities are exempt if they have a permit, and the road is also still accessible by bike and foot. The change was necessary because parking could not accommodate the surging traffic, with only a "very small percentage" of cars being allowed on the road in 2022 and the rest having to be turned away. It also noted how having to turn away so many vehicles was creating a safety hazard, with staff being confronted and harassed by disgruntled visitors.

How to get to Lake Louise 

If you choose a shuttle or tour that leaves from Lake Louise or Banff make sure you have transportation to get there. Lake Louise is about an hour drive west of Canmore. Banff is about a 20 minute drive west of Canmore. 

Rent a car -  Enterprise Rent-A-Car

Roam Bus - You would need to catch the bus from Canmore to Banff and then a different bus from Banff to Lake Louise. Here is the schedule. 

Looking for accomodation in Canmore?

Exclusive Offers - Guide Books and Recommendations
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.